Monday, April 6, 2015

DIY Sleepy Cat Air Freshener with Essential Oils


I recently did a thorough cleaning of my car. While it was nice to finally have it clutter-free (I hate to admit the thing had been neglected for months :/), it still wasn't smelling as fresh as it could...So I came up with the idea to make my own air freshener with essential oils since they are way better for you than the artificial chemicals used in the store-bought car fresheners. I wanted something with some personality, so I decided on this patchwork kitty :) This project is a good way to use up any felt and fabric scraps you have laying around. It also makes a great gift, I made one for my hubby and mom as well. Each cat takes about 30 minutes to complete. 


Skill level: Intermediate- must know basic hand-stitching, however, you can find tutorials on youtube for all of the stitches mentioned.

You will need: 
  • about a 6" piece of felt in the color of your choice
  • small scrap of fabric of your choice
  • regular sized needle and thread
  • long needle with large eye
  • black embroidery floss
  • chalk
  • scissors
  • your favorite essential oil(s)
  • hemp cord or yarn for hanging


How to:

1. Use your chalk to sketch a cat outline on your felt. I made mine about 4" tall. Cut it out and use it to cut out a second, identical piece out of the same felt.

2. Cut out small triangles to fit in the ears and a belly out of your fabric. Start sewing them on one of the cat-shaped pieces, on the opposite side of the chalk marks. I used an overcast stitch for the belly and a straight stitch for the ears.




3. Using 4 strands of the black embroidery floss, create a sleepy face. I did three stitches in a curved shape for the eyelids, three or four eyelashes, three stitches in the shape of a triangle for the nose, one vertical stitch under the nose and two slightly slanted horizontal stitches, one on either side of the vertical stitch for the mouth. Then I did three stitches for the whiskers on the side of the face, or you could do french knots instead.


4. Once you've finished the face, it's time to stitch the two cats together. This will hide the messy stitches on the back and make for a sturdier cat. I again used the overcast stitch for this.


5. Using your large needle, thread the hemp cord or yarn through the top of the cat's head and make it into a loop to hang.


6. The last step is to add your essential oil. I used Young Living's Thieves oil and applied 3-4 drops on the fabric part of the belly, but it can be put anywhere on the cat. It will look wet at first, but once it dries there was no spot where the oil was placed. Enjoy your new air freshener!



No comments:

Post a Comment