Monday, September 23, 2013

Homemade Play Dough

                 

Today I tried out an idea I had seen on Pinterest for making my own play dough from every day ingredients out of the kitchen. It was a success! Here's what I did:

Basic Play Dough:

Ingredients: 
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
1/2 cup water with color of your choice (see notes below)
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil (or any cooking oil will work)
1/2 tablespoon cream of tartar

Directions: 
Using a glass measuring cup, microwave 1/2 cup water (along with any fruits or spices for coloring, see notes below) for approximately 1.5 minutes or until boiling. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until it forms a ball, then remove from heat and knead. 

Color options:
Yellow- I added 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to my water before boiling in microwave
Pink- I added a couple tiny slices of a fresh beet
Cream- I used 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, it also smells nice!

You can make other colors using various ingredients, for example add some cocoa powder for brown, or smashed blackberries or blueberries for purple (strain any berries through a cheesecloth or coffee filter), pureed spinach for green, just experiment and have fun!

It only took me about 30 minutes to make these three batches. I found a bag of dough cutting toys and a rolling pin at Target for $1 each in the dollar spot, score! My daughter and I had a great time playing with the dough :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment