Saturday, August 24, 2013

Vegan Banana Bread

My mom is in town visiting right now and she loves banana bread, so I thought it was a good time to make one. I looked at several recipes but none had the amount of sugar, use of oil instead of butter, etc. like I wanted so I decided to experiment and put together one myself. It turned out to be the best banana bread I think I've ever made! It's super moist, not too sweet, and uses coconut oil instead of butter, which means healthier fats. We could not even tell it was vegan.


Ingredients:
1 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. turbinado sugar
2 tbsp. maple syrup
3 medium very ripe bananas
1/2 c. coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used So Delicious Coconut milk)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a loaf pan with coconut oil or Earth Balance. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a large bowl, mash bananas, mix in milk, vanilla, maple syrup, sugar and oil. Gradually add dry ingredients into the banana mixture. Fold in chopped pecans. Pour into prepared pan and bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted to center comes out clean. Cool inside pan for 10 minutes. Finish cooling on wire rack.







Yumm!

No comments:

Post a Comment